What to Do if You Are Injured in a Car Accident
Car accidents are terrifying affairs that happen far too often and that often lead to very serious injuries. If another motorist’s negligence leaves you injured in a car accident, it can leave you at a loss regarding how best to proceed. After all, you’ve been injured, and you have a long journey ahead toward regaining your health and well-being. One of the most important steps you can take after being injured in a car accident that was caused by another driver’s negligence is consulting with an experienced Sarasota car accident attorney – who will tend to the negotiations with the involved insurance company to help ensure your claim’s best possible resolution, while you focus on your recovery.
First Things First
Every car accident is unique to the unique situation involved, but there are some basic first steps everyone who is involved in a car accident should take, including:
- Move your vehicle as safely out of the way of oncoming traffic as you possibly can
- Call 911
- Provide aid to anyone who needs it (to the best of your ability)
- Accept medical attention at the scene of the accident if it is offered – or seek medical attention on your own as soon as you are able to do so
- Gather evidence at the scene of the accident (if you are able), including taking photos and videos that depict the accident and damage from every angle and obtaining eyewitness testimony and contact information
- Don’t talk about the accident at the scene (your words can come back to haunt your car accident case), and if the police ask you questions about the accident, answer them as honestly and succinctly as you possibly can
Seek Medical Attention
If you have been in a car accident of any serious magnitude, you should seek immediate medical attention. Even if you don’t think you were seriously injured, the fact of the matter is that injuries can be symptom-free (until they progress into something far more serious and far more difficult to treat effectively). When it comes to your health and well-being, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Further, if you know that you’ve suffered an injury, do not waste time deciding whether or not you need medical care – allow experienced medical professionals to make this call.
It’s Time to Consult with an Experienced Sarasota Car Accident Attorney
If another motorist’s negligence leaves you injured in a car accident, the surest path forward is with an experienced car accident attorney by your side. The resourceful Sarasota car accident attorneys at Matthews Injury Law are well positioned and well prepared to zealously advocate for your rights – in pursuit of just compensation that covers your physical, financial, and emotional damages in their entirety. Our dedicated legal team is here for you, so please don’t wait to contact us online or call us at 941-877-5800 for more information about how we can help you today.